1. Back ground
LADAMET (in French: Laboratoire d’Analyses des Denrées Alimentaires, Médicaments, Eaux et Toxiques) is a University of Rwanda laboratory for Analysis of Foods, Medicines, Water and Toxics. It has been created in 2007 from the existing (1997) Laboratory of Hygiene of Foodstuffs and Water (LHEDA: Laboratoire d’Hygiène de l’Eau et des Denrées Alimentaires). It was partially established with support and funds from the University of Liege in Belgium through the “Conseil Universitaire au Développement” (CUD/CIUF).
This laboratory is located at Mamba site in the university Biotechnology Complex in Ngoma Sector, Huye District and Southern Province.
Since 2007, LADAMET has been developed rapidly due to its well trained staff and national and international laboratories network. Nowadays, it becomes a dynamic problem solver and a visionary executive with the unique ability to lead enterprises, government and other private/public sector entities to achieve their goals as well as to garner critical attention for the work being done in domain of medicines, foodstuffs, drinking and waste water, and toxicants.
The LADAMET has already developed qualitative and quantitative analytical methods including physical chemistry, microbiology to monitor quality control for 23 antibiotics with high interest and quinine and coartem circulating on local market.
Due to its long experience in water (water surface, waste water, drinking water, etc), the laboratory has signed a number of contracts with public institutions like MOUs with MINAGRI (2010-2013) to creating Water Quality Baseline, build up the data bank and establish minimum ecological flow in Land Husbandry, Water harvesting and Hillside irrigation (LWH) project sites. Other MOUs have been signed (2012-till now) with the Ministry of Health (MOH), Rwanda Biomedical Centre (RBC), and Malaria & Other Parasitic Diseases Division (MOPDD) to monitor the quality of antimalarial medicines entering the public national market from national warehouse to end user (Health Community Workers); others are in pipelines.
The laboratory has been recognized by European Pharmacopoeia (Eur. Pharm. Strasburg) as a laboratory capable to analyse medicines and regularly receives free access on its publications (online, soft and hard copies).
The capacity of the laboratory service, inclusive its workforce should be able to respond adequately to the requests made by private and public institutions and particulars.
Laboratory services have been delivered by the 3 laboratory technicians and 3 senior laboratory technicians (see lab structure) trained in Europe, Region and locally on the job for specific laboratory tasks. Analytical validation and other scientific guidance are performed by Pharmacy department staff (6) supported by a scientific committee operating as a board of directors. LADAMET operates continuously, the personnel usually work the day, evening, or night shift and may work weekends and holidays depending on samples availability.
With the support of the Belgian “Academie de Recherche et d’Enseignement Superieur (ARES)”, the university of Rwanda decided to change LADAMET into a new and promising spin-off company not only focusing training but largely contributing to university revenues generation by empowering the existing food and water analysis and Dugs and toxicology analysis units. This will cope with the prominent mission of university “.... discovering and advancing knowledge, committed to the highest standards of academic excellence, where students are prepared for lives of service, leadership and solutions”.
b. Its importance
Laboratory is supporting teaching and research on Master and PhD levels, supports community service activities and contributes to UR income generation.
The LADAMET is briefly in mirror of UR consultancy bureau as a tool to boost university internal revenues.
In this regards, UR-ARES under Results 3 (R3) sub-program supports UR Consultancy Bureau in developing a business plan for the Laboratory of Analysis of Food, Medicines, Water and Toxics (LADAMET) as one of identified spin-off companies. The goal of URCB is increase the laboratory capacity and rich international level by observing the standards operational procedures (SOP), therefore affords competitiveness of high quality services to public and largely contribute to University income generation.
Both partners, University of Rwanda and ARES have already identified the operational areas where they will need to put an emphasis in short and long run:
- Leadership and Exploratory contact with the one of spin-off’s unit innovation advisors;
- Provision of extension services, Education and training;
- Establishment of quality system procedures (document management, quality manual, facilities management, personnel management, sample reception, Purchase management, internal audits, customer management / complaints, records management, deviation management, corrective and preventive action, results guarantee);
- Increase awareness to public using strong marketing strategies;
- Creating liaison office within UR campuses and facilitate samples collection from our clients from remote areas;
There is a need to develop a business plan and update current strategic plan which will enable the URCB /LADAMET to gain a better understanding of quality control laboratory business environment, realign its role to be more effective and efficient, develop feasible business operational and financial strategies and have a framework against which to measure its performance.
2. Scope of work
The main objective of this consultancy is to gather, collect and analyse the current and competitive laboratory of quality control information necessary for developing a realistic and feasible business plan for LADAMET. Focus will be on key business drivers that URCB/LADAMET will base on to realise the business growth, corporate profitability, and sustainability without compromising on its educational and research responsibilities. This study will be carry out in current LADAMET facilities located in Huye District at mamba site.
The consultant will be required to:
- To assess the existing facilities of LADAMET as well as its work flow and confront them to ISO IEC17025:2005 and ISO 19011:2011 guidelines for lab quality control need assessments;
- Consult with URCB, LADAMET management, partners, key stakeholders for better understanding the role of the university quality control laboratory, the market share and trends, the business environment and business nexus;
- Develop a business plan that specify the strategies to be used in resource allocation, advertising , sales and marketing, distribution, extension and training delivery, pricing and positioning amongst others;
- Develop a business plan that includes required resources (staff skills, physical and intangible assets, consumables, etc) map operating costs structures, revenues streams and value propositions;
- Identify the extent and areas in which capacity building and human resource of URCB, LADAMET staff and management team will be required to fulfil their overseer responsibility;
- Develop a long term financial projections for LADAMET Spin-off Company; this will include the cash flow projections, balance sheets, income statement, start up capital needed, return on investment, profitability margins, payback periods, average net profits and risks, and proposed risks mitigations. This should also concrete evidence illustrating how the business will be sustainable;
- Identify the possible partnership network and target customer relationship in addition to developing a projection of quantity of laboratory services that can be traded profitably.
3. Required qualifications for team members:
- At least 5 years experience in research and business development with a strong bias on enterprises development within university set ups;
- Advanced training at master’s degree or high in Business development or related field. A background in commercial, agri-economics, public private partnership, spin-off enterprises development will be an added value;
- Advanced training at master’s degree in quality assurance or related field with rich experience at least 5 years on laboratory quality system procedures with specific knowledge on ISO IEC 17025:2005 and Iso 19011;
- Excellent writing skills and proven ability to produce high quality documents in English with excellent working group knowledge.
4. Expected outcome and Reporting
- A draft report of on LADAMET Spin-off Company 3 years (2017-2019) business plan developed and presented to UR-ARES coordination team and UR Senior Management for comments and feedback;
- A final detailed LADAMET Spin-off company business plan after insertion of comments and feedback ;
- The UR-ARES R3 Team Leader in conjunction with the Belgian counterpart :
- will direct and coordinate the consultancy and have overall responsibility and accountability for this consultancy;
- guide and arrange meetings and direct assessment and write up process for final completion;
- the consultant on the other hand will be expected to:
- prepare an inception report and a work plan for the duration of the consultancy thus bringing refinement , specificity and elaboration to the ToR;
- perform the consultancy task in spirit of team group, efficiency and professionalism;
- Deliver on specified output of the assignment;
- The report shall be written in English and submitted in reasonable time frame within the consultancy period. All documents are to be submitted to UR-ARES/R3 Team Leader office at GIKONDO UR H/Q Floor 6 and copy to UR-ARES Coordinator.
Total contract period will be 14 days scheduled as follow:
6. Submission and selection procedures
The University of Rwanda now invites all qualified and interested persons including its staff (consultants in team) to express their interests and provide the required information indicating that they are qualified to conducting this above-said consultancy. The applicants should submit relevant documents to UR/ARES/R3 Team Leader (email@example.com) and copy to UR-ARES (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated Curriculum Vitae describing qualifications and experience by email address or 3 hard copies to UR-ARES/R3 Team Leader’s Gikondo UR-H/Q 6th Floor
Following this request of Express of interests, the shortlist of qualified consultants will be prepared and highest ranking consultant will be invited to submit technical and financial offers to allow contract negotiations.
The deadline for submission has now been extended to 14th November 2016.
Eng. Vivien MUNYABURANGA
Done on 17/10/2016